Thursday, January 5, 2012

Jan. 5th - "I didn't expect there to be so much listening"

I don't watch Jimmy Kimmel and I think he's so-so funny (he's probably funnier than I give him credit for....if I actually watched his show) but I did catch his "tell-your-kids-you-ate-all-their-Halloween-candy-videotape-it-and-put-it-on-youtube" challenge this past Halloween.  It was hysterical, and mean, but still hysterical.  If you haven't seen it, it's worth the time, but if you only want to watch a little bit, check out these two adorable boys....they are precious.  I am digressing however, as I'm wont to do.  In his opening monologue the night he aired the video montage of what people sent in, he said "I didn't expect there to be so much crying!"; this is exactly how I feel with my teen and preteen daughter starting about 4-5 mos. ago.  Dear Lord, as we move deeper into middle school and with high school looming on the very near horizon for one....the "me-listening-more-talking-less" requirement has increased a thousand-fold!!!  Wow, and I only anticipate that in order to make it through to 12th grade for all three girls, I will eventually have to have my mouth duct-taped (so I can just listen) and my eyes duct-taped so the eye-rolling doesn't interfere with the listening. 

Luckily, I've always been a good listener and I'm guessing a hit-or-miss advice-giver.  I've had hundreds of friends who've gone before my girls for me to listen to and advise (like all women, right?).  What I hadn't anticipated is that my girls aren't really interested in my advice; in fact they seem to completely ignore it or do the exact opposite of what I suggest.  My years of trying, failing, falling, getting up, winning, losing, etc. seem to be of exactly zero interest to them.  I try to dig up stories from my life before children as examples to show I can sympathize/empathize, and they are like "yeah, so anyway....".

This is gonna be a LONG haul.  I'm gonna need a lot valium and wine.

Hope you have the best night's sleep/morning's start and thanks for stopping by!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment