Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Jan 4 - that's right, I SKIPPED a day already....

For my friend G, who is ALWAYS ready to hold my feet to the flame, I need to state for the record, so as not to mislead anyone:  the only purpose of THIS blog is to just see if I can write every single day for a year.  Considering we are four days in and I've already missed a day, the answer is obviously, no.  BUT, I'm not ready to give up of course....I've learned a valuable lesson.  I need to write these blog entries in the morning.  If I wait until evening, everything else pours into the tiny space left and washes any plans right out of my brain.  Thought about it last night around 9:15...."gotta do an entry then go to bed".  Remembered I didn't do it, when I woke up at 4:18 this morning.

I like giving myself challenges or I get bored quickly.  I haven't challenged myself on anything for a long time.  Perhaps the past year of eating better and losing some weight, but I missed my one year goal by so much, it almost seems not to count.

On to my rant for today...I'm pondering the news of the ex-military guy who killed the park ranger at Mt. Ranier.  My immediate thought was, how many events similar to this have to happen before anything REAL is done to help these men and women when they return home from these wars.  I cannot even imagine what these soldiers see/do/hear when they are deployed.  I cannot fathom how it is to try to make some semblance of having a "normal" life back here at home ever again.  Now, I really don't know WHAT our military does to support these folks, and maybe it IS a lot?  But is that any comfort when it's someone you love or know that is hurt because a returning vet isn't getting ALL the support he/she needs?  Is the bigger question - why don't we do what we need to to truly take care of ourselves?  Ask for the support we need rather than wait for someone else to figure out we need help?  I only know, I really, really feel for these returning military personnel and their families and friends.  It cannot be easy.

May your day offer you some peace and thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. What is it that made the service people of WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam come back and go on to lead full lives? I think in our age of instant information, we immediately get TMI that may have nothing to do with the fact someone doesn't belong in society.

    These soldiers see, hear, do nothing that soldiers everywhere have experienced. Most of our service people DO come back and live their lives according to high standards.

    Maybe this was never a REAL man to start with?

    Just thinkin'

    ReplyDelete